As the year ends, many Soap Makers / Entrepreneurs start taking a look at their budgets, cost-cutting ideas, and how they can make the next year even better. With 2 months left in 2010, there is still time to make some minor tweaks to how we run our businesses and keep our handmade soap affordable and top quality. First, we recommend going through your books and really tallying up your cost to produce your product vs. your actual sales price. Whether you’re just making soap for fun, or you’re running a full-fledged business – you definitely don’t want to lose money on each and every product that you sell.
If you don’t keep good track of what you spend, now is the time to start doing so! Ensuring that you’re making a good profit or at least breaking even if you’re just a hobby soap maker who is looking to refine their skills while selling a little soap here and there. I love managing money and seeing actual drawn-out diagrams of my spending. An amazing free resource to consider is Mint. (For personal or business).
And now, onto our list! A few of these great tips were submitted by our lovely Facebook friends! Thank you ladies for your advice!
5 Secrets to Getting Cheaper Soap Making Oil and Supplies
1. Pay by Cash! Many vendors charge a credit card processing fee to pay via credit card. If you are able to pay by cash, you can often save up anywhere from 2-4% on your entire transaction. In fact, Cibaria Soap Supply offers this nifty option for pick-up orders.
2. Start a local Buying Co-Op and save big bucks on buying larger quantities. Not only do you save money on shipping, but because you’re buying in a larger quantity, you’ll often get pretty decent price breaks. Network with some fellow Soap Maker friends in your area, and arrange a buying co-op to save money on your soap supplies. You’ll be glad you did!
3. “Buy from as few suppliers as you can, do bulk orders so you take advantage of shipping costs and streamline your ingredients so you’re not buying a million things… instead a limited number of key ingredients” – From our Facebook friend Celine
4. “i like going onto forums like Craftserver and checking out the Classified section!!! Everyday someone is listing oils, fragrances and supplies at a good deal b/c they are either trading, ending their business or simply need the money to pay a bill…..” – From our Facebook friend Anita
5. “Buy LOCAL to save on delivery charges! That’s why I buy from Cibaria! Also, I like to support local businesses. Plus, Cibaria really has the best prices……..” From our Facebook friend Joy (thank you for the kind words
What other ways do you save on your soap making / handmade supplies! Please share them below with our readers!